Friday, September 29, 2006

Conflict Resolution - PC Style

There are moments when I am able to actually use my Bachelors degree. This afternoon was one of those times.

I've been trying to get my computer to read/recognize a flash drive. I'd insert it and the arrow icon would appear, showing that the computer "sees" it. Problem came when I'd go to my drop down list and the icon for the flash drive wouldn't appear. I couldn't figure it out to save my life. The drive works at home, why not here?

I asked around and someone mentioned that they had a similar thing happen and that they had to change the drive letter. I had no idea how to do that but thought that probably wasn't it. I went to Target and bought a new flash drive thinking maybe that was the issue.

It wasn't.

I happened to notice the pop up box (that appears when the drive is first inserted into the port) reveal that the flash drive had the letter "F". I already had that letter assigned to a network drive. I put two and two together and figured that must be the conflict. I gave the drive letter idea a shot. After consulting the "Help" menu I figured out how to change the drive letter and sure enough - it worked! I did it for both flash drives and it is beeeeuuuuutteeeeefulll!

I don't take full responsibility for figuring this out since another person had mentioned changing the drive letter. I am going to take credit for figuring out how to do it, though!

(ps - dear asswipe IT guy at work = you don't have a fucking clue what you're doing, do you?! Telling me to right click on my current "F" drive and change the name temporarily and then "click this, click that until you get it" - that's a load of bullshit isn't it?! Yeah, I thought so. FYI - I figured it out myself - my woman self figured something technical out all on my own! So there!)

0 comments: