Saturday, September 23, 2006

Zen and the Art of Distraction

Teaching a 5 month old how to eat from a spoon requires more zen patience than I could muster from my pinky toe.

It really comes down to distracting K from the fact that his food is starting to come from something other than the bottle. Oh, there is hell to pay if he sees that bottle before the spoon has made it's appearance! Yes, hell indeed unleashes itself in our kitchen.

I used to laugh (nicely) at parents who would make airplane sounds, clap their hands and any other forms of distraction necessary to sneak the spoon into their child's mouth. Now, I'm looking to them for help!

K could really care less about the spoon or anything that comes on it. I think he'd be happy to live on a liquid diet forever. He may at the rate we're going. LOL!

Last night was better. I gave K is own spoon and when he'd put it in or near his mouth, I'd "sneak" in some oatmeal. He's getting it, just really slowly. I can see him close his mouth and "chew" the food and then swallow it. He just isn't to sure of this whole thing.

There is photographic evidence of my endeavors, but K is anything but pleasant in them. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a more pissed off infant!

0 comments: