Saturday, January 20, 2007

One Pleased Family

So there is this couple that I really don't like. J used to work with them years ago and they have kept in touch. I'm not really that "connected" to them. I know this couple through J. We've hung out at times, etc, but that's about it.

Anyway, I could go into a long explanation of why and what happened to make me not care to be around them, but I summarize it as best as I can. They are both flaky and rarely follow through with things. We set up "couple dates" and they back out or they set up the dates and then forget! As a "planner", that doesn't go over well with me. The also over exaggerate things! The gusto with which they use to describe people and situations is more over the top than a 4 years olds imagination! That also doesn't help me tolerate them. You can only take 1/4 of what they say as a glimpse of truth. Everything else is bullshit.

Fast forward to Thursday night when they call and say they are having a joint birthday party and would like us to come. I prepare myself for a night of having to put on a good face but thankful that K will be with us and I can "hide" with him.
Get to today and their party is at 7:30 PM - um yeah that won't work because K is in bed at that time. J seemed a little bummed. I immediately thought how nice it was that I didn't have to fake it. Of course, then I got back into the "good wife" mode and realized that we both didn't have to stay home. K would be asleep and that would require only one of us to be at home. I told J this and how I wouldn't mind staying home. He's better friends with them anyway and I couldn't give a f*** what they do as long as I don't have to be there for it.

Needless to say, J was pleased with this arrangement. I was pleased. We were one very pleased family! Sweeeeeeeet!

1 comments:

Bon said...

lol...we had a rather similar weekend!

is it funny to you that you've reached a place in life where the exciting thing to do on a saturday night is stay home - even by yourself - rather than put yourself through the irritation of faking it with people you don't really like?

for me, it's a big change...and i like it. :)