Monday, February 12, 2007

Heart Pumping Morning

We've gotten a lot of snow where I live this year. No where near upstate NY, but enough. So what does that snow do when the temperature gets above freezing? Well, it melts.
Now pay attention - this next part is very important. What happens to melted snow overnight when the temp gets way below freezing...
it freezes! Very good. I knew you were smart bloggers. :)

When I pulled my car into the driveway of B's daycare, I was aware that it was slick. I commended myself on my astitute observation as I walked around the rear of the car to get K.
(this is where it gets good, people! Commence eating lots of popcorn as the plot builds)
I unbuckle K and what do I notice....
.
.
.
.
.
my car starts sliding backwards! Not fast, but enough that I am at a complete loss of what to do. I look at the steering wheel and know that the car is indeed off, the keys are out of the ignition, it is in Park...I've no idea what in the hell to do.
I call out "Help" a couple times, but there is no one outside to hear so it was completely pointless.
I look at K (whose is wondering why I haven't gotten him out yet), I try to figure out if there is any way I can keep the car from speeding down the driveway and into the lawn of the house across the street.
Eventually, the car stopped. I let go of the door frame and the car continued to not move. Carefully I closed the car door, made my way around to the driver's side and got in. I started the car and got out of that damn driveway, pulling into a spot along the curb instead.

We are both fine, although my nerves are shot. I anticpate my adreline will be back to normal around noon.....NEXT WEEK!

So, I'll be submitting a suggestion for Worst Case Scenarios to update their book to include options on what to do when:
A. Your car is sliding downhill on ice
B. You're wearing full office wardrobe right down to the 3 inch heels
C. You are also sliding downhill on ice
D. You have an infant in the car
E. No one is around to offer help
F. You can't reach your purse to get the cell phone in order to call daycare and have them send someone out the help

Yeah, I think that will do.

4 comments:

OhTheJoys said...

Glad you are safe!

Bon said...

wow, that got MY heart pumping, and i'm sitting safely in my stationary kitchen.

now that i know you're both safe, may i say that the visual image of a woman in heels trying to stop a rolling car is quite...um...vivid?

i am now going to fear parking my car all week long. :)

Nico said...

That must have been so frightening. My car was sliding on our driveway the other day, both with the e-brake on and in gear (it's a manual). It started while I was still in it though.

I'm so glad that it stopped before you were out in the street!

I love your suggestion to the survival guide too. LOL!

Zany Mama said...

Oh my gosh! I cannot imagine how much you must have been freaking out.

Glad you're both safe!